Tidings – February 19, 2017
Of all the difficult situations we face in life, what would you say is the one area that stresses you the most? Finances? Health? National or global issues? Politics? Family? Work? There are plenty of candidates! There are things that some people face and never blink which bring others to a point of such stress that they can barely function, but we know that at some point, we’re going to have to face that… whatever it is for us. We’re going to look this week at a word from God that talks about those times, and consider what kind of reassurance we’re offered from our Creator. What does it mean when we read, “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need”? Join us as we hear of God’s hope!
Church Historian, Rev. Robert Williams, tells us that another Methodist is being honored on a postage stamp. Read about this commemorative “forever” stamp featuring Dorothy Height.
Practice Your Serve
- ACUP NEEDS YOU!! The Missions Committee is looking for team leaders to help with our God’s Kitchen ministry in Atlantic City. It’s easier than you think! Current team leaders will train and support you. Call Karin Rossi Gleason at 609-425-2474.
- Our Ocean City Ecumenical Clothes Closet is in need of winter coats (especially men’s) and also any type of blankets. Please drop off your donation directly to the Clothes Closet located at 555 West Avenue, Ocean City. They are open Monday and Wednesday, 10:00am to 3:00pm and Friday from 10:00am to 2:30pm.
Remember to mark your calendar for these upcoming events…
- Give Your Lent a Special Start! Mark your calendars for Ash Wednesday, March 1st at either7am or 7pm. You can give a sacred start to your Lenten practice with one (or both) of two different services. The 7:00am service is a quiet Taize type service in the Bleyler Chapel on the first floor. The 7:00pm service includes the full choir and will be held in the sanctuary. Both services will include Imposition of Ashes (coming clean) and Holy Communion (gathering nourishment) for our 40 wilderness days.
- Lenten Fasting – Wednesday & Friday March 1 – April 12, Dawn until 3pm What did Jesus mean when He replied to the Pharisees in Matthew 9:15-17? “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast. No one sews a patch of un-shrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse. Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.” If the Holy Spirit might be calling upon you to learn how to fast and increase your capacity to hold new wine at this time in your faith journey, you are invited to “Take up your Cross” this Lent, and offer God more of yourself as a Disciple by enduring some personal discomfort by refraining from eating food during Lent until 3 pm on any or all Wednesdays and Fridays. Your stomach might growl, but the rewards will be worthwhile and eternally significant as you make more room in your life that God promises to fill with more of Him!
- The Dominican Republic mission team is continuing to sell certificates for Piccini’s Restaurant here in OC. The profits from the sales of certificates go to build a new house for a family in great need. The cost of the Piccini’s gifts is $20.00 each. To purchase, see Connie Pritchard (firstname.lastname@example.org), Nancy Caine (email@example.com) or Judy Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Fiesta St. Peter’s Take-Out Luncheon – Sunday, March 5th (after all three services) we will be selling soup: Potato Bacon, Broccoli Cheddar, Beef Barley, Split Pea, Ministrone plus red or white Chili. Stromboli’s are: Pepperoni/Cheese & Broccoli/Cheese. (All proceeds will go towards our Dominican Republic Mission) Pre orders are encouraged to ensure you get your favorite so please fill out your order form available in the brochure rack across from the church office.
- Coffee With Christ – You are invited to a new Tuesday Bible Study starting March 7th from 9:00-10:30am in the Fox Room. We will be doing a twelve week study of the book of Matthew. There will be silent reading of the chapters to be discussed and then group discussion using MacArthur’s Bible Study questions. This class will be facilitated by Kathy & Tom Branin and will run from March 7th – May 30th. If you plan to attend, please RSVP with Kathy at (email@example.com).
- WEDNESDAY’S + LENT + DEVOTION + MUSIC + SOUP = YOU Please join us on Wednesdays during Lent from March 8th thru April 5th for a time of the day set aside for contemplation and music. Each of these half hour programs will be centered around a different topic – our March 8th topic will be “Wondrous Love”. Instead of just giving something up for Lent, add this time each week to your own Lenten Journey and join Pastor Steve and John Bate along with other musicians in the church sanctuary from 12:10pm to 12:40pm. Immediately following a soup luncheon will be served in the Stainton Room.
- Feeding The Hungry in Atlantic City — Please join our team on Saturday, March 11th at 8:30am to load the van and head to A.C. to feed the hungry and homeless. We are accepting gently used and new sweatshirts, pants, socks, sneakers or any other wearing apparel appropriate for winter weather. Just drop the items off in plastic bags (please label) and place on the pew near the pastor’s office on the first floor. Items are needed before Saturday, March 11th.
- Red Cross Blood will be held on Wednesday, March 15th St. Peter’s will be hosting a Blood Drive from 2:00pm-7:00pm in the Stainton Room. For an appointment sign up at redcrossblood.org or follow the link on our St. Peter’s website and enter sponsor code: stpetersumc. You can also call the Red Cross at1-800-Red-Cross. Blood supplies are low, so please make every effort to help with this lifesaving need!
- Stop Hunger Now mission Project Calling all volunteers! We are hosting our 4th annual Meal Packing Party with the organization ‘Rise Against Hunger’ (formerly Stop Hunger Now) on Saturday, March 18th from 10:00am to 12:00pm. All are welcome to join us as we pack 10,000 meals to do our part to end hunger world-wide. This is a great activity for adults & kids (recommended age is 3rd grade and up – bring a stool for smaller children). Invite friends, neighbors, whomever! There is no cost to participate in this mission (the St. Peter’s Missions Committee is sponsoring 10,000 meals), however, a love offering for St. Peter’s food ministries will be taken. The organization now requires each participant to fill out a registration form, available on our website www.stpoc.org or in paper form at the door. Questions? please email Sarah Lee at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Get informed on organ/tissue donation on Saturday, March 18th from 9:00am to 12:00 noon. Macedonia United Methodist Church will be holding a seminar where you can get informed, learn the facts and ask questions about organ/tissue donation. There will be a continental breakfast served from 9:00-10:00am. For more information please contact Joe Pratt at: 609-457-3362.
- Princess & Pirate Party – Saturday, April 1st at 10am Join us for our annual Princess & Pirate Party on Saturday, April 1st at 10am! Bring your little ones in their favorite princess or pirate costumes and come ready to party as we are reminded that we are all God’s special treasure, and also, God is our treasure! This is a free event so please invite friends and neighbors. To register for this event go online at www.stpoc.org.
- It’s that time of year – April 2, 2017 is the Gift of Life Donor Dash. This is the 22nd anniversary of the Dash and it will be our third year participating as Team Skysoldier. Our team is aiming to raise $2,000 + and to have 20 or more people join us for the 3K Walk/5-10K run. All proceeds will help the Gift of Life Donor Program continue educating the community about life-saving organ as well as life enhancing tissue transplants. Team Skysoldier needs your help! See the flyer posted on the bulletin board for more information or visit org and sponsor Team Skysoldier. If you have any questions, please contact Joe Pratt at (609) 390-9149.
- United Methodist Women annual Spaghetti Dinner will be held at the Deauville Inn on Thursday, April 6, 2017. Cost will remain the same at $25.00 per person and this benefits St. Peter’s missions. For more information please contact Rose Marie Duncan at 609-938-1707.
- The 2017 mission trip to the Dominican Republic is set for April 17-23. If you think you might want to participate or if you just want more information, please email Judy Kelly for more information, (email@example.com).
TERRIFIC TUESDAY – SCHEDULE:
The Winter/Spring schedule is:
4:00pm Bible Study & Tai Chi, 3rd Floor
(Ginny Strang/Vicki Scheetz)
4:30pm Mission Kids (Pre-k to 6th grade) Rm. 206
5:00pm Junior & Youth Choirs (1st grade & up) Rm. 111
Biblical Prophecy & Today’s News
(Rob Winder) Rm. 106
Covenant Book Study
(Marilyn Hughes) Rm. 120
5:30pm Cherub Choir & Chimes (John Bate) Rm. 101
Activities (1st grade & up) Rm. 206
6:00pm Dinner (Cost is $5.00 per person, $15.00 family)
6:30pm Youth Bible Study 3rd Floor Room
Drop In Class (Pastor Steve) Rm. 205
Beth Moore Study (D. Schempp/J. Johnson) Rm. 106
Art/Painting Class (Robin Auwater) Rm. 101
ELL – English Language Learning Rm.120
6:40pm Adult Handbell Choir Rm. 112
7:00pm Grief Support (Jane Taylor) – Meets every other
Tuesday – see bulletin for next meeting. Rm. 209
Anne Wheatley passed away on February 14, 2017