We frequently categorize people as either ‘glass half empty’ or ‘glass half full’ kinds of folks. I have a friend who I’ve described as one who never fails to see the dark cloud in every silver lining! Which are you? When we watch the news, read the papers, talk to our neighbors and hear about the steady stream of evil and ever more inventive ways that we humans find to exclude, and hurt each other, it is easy to fall into that ‘half empty’ mentality, isn’t it? We think, this will never change… but the Bible tells us of something that actually won’t ever change! In Psalm 36 we read, “Your unfailing love, O LORD, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the ocean depths.” Join us as we talk about some really Good News this Sunday!
- Church Historian, Rev. Robert Williams, tells us that another Methodist is being honored on a postage stamp. Read about this commemorative “forever” stamp featuring Dorothy Height.
- A message from the UMW – The United Methodist Women of St. Peter’s UMC are planning their 4th Annual Christmas House Tour in December 2017. Our tour is open to the congregation of our church and their accompanying guests. We are looking for those interested in showing their homes for the holiday season. If you have questions or are interested in offering your home for the 2017 Christmas House Tour, please contact Nancy McNamara at: (email@example.com). Remember, all proceeds from the Christmas House Tour will be going towards our Dominican Republic outreach.
Practice Your Serve
- Just a reminder that the first Sunday of the month (2/5/17) is Food Collection Sunday. The February item for collection is microwavable rice/macaroni & cheese.
- Dishwasher is needed – St. Peter’s is looking for a dishwasher for our Terrific Tuesday dinners from 6:00pm to 7:15pm. This would include running the dishwasher, hand-washing trays, pots/pans and kitchen cleanup. This would be a paid position so if you are interested please contact Jennifer Bowman at 399-9463.
- Our Ocean City Ecumenical Clothes Closet is in need of winter coats (especially men’s) and also any type of blankets. Please drop off your donation directly to the Clothes Closet located at 555 West Avenue, Ocean City. They are open Monday and Wednesday, 10:00am to 3:00pm and Friday from 10:00am to 2:30pm.
- Friendly folks are needed for usher & greeter teams. Do you like to meet people? Do you want to share your love for Christ and St. Peter’s with others? If so, please consider becoming a part of our usher or greeter teams. It takes many people to offer a warm welcome and to ensure that our worship services run smoothly. If you can help with this need please contact the church office at 399-2988 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for considering this opportunity to serve God and St. Peter’s!
- The Dominican Republic mission team is continuing to sell certificates for Piccini’s Restaurant here in OC. The profits from the sales of certificates go to build a new house for a family in great need. The cost of the Piccini’s gifts is $20.00 each. To purchase, see Connie Pritchard (email@example.com), Nancy Caine (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Judy Kelly (email@example.com).
Remember to mark your calendar for these upcoming events…
- Tuesday Bible Study – What Time is it and What Did I Just Say? Do you notice that the paraments (aka the pulpit and altar cloths) change at odd increments? Do you want to know ‘why?’ and ‘how?’ While we’re at it, do you notice what we sometimes say as a statement of belief, especially at baptisms (aka The Apostles Creed)? Want to discover what it means, how it got there, and what you believe if you would write your creed of faith? Come and find out as the Tuesday Afternoon Study begins its winter/spring sessions in the Fox Room. The study begins at 1:00pm and lasts about 2 hours. We are studying “The Liturgical Year” and “In Search of Belief” both by Joan Chittister, OSB. Joan Chittister is a delightful contemporary author well-schooled in both liturgy and spiritual formation. Both books will be used for the rest of the year and can be obtained from Amazon (for about $12.00-13.00 for a book, even less for ‘used’ and $5.00-10.00 for the Kindle edition). For more information contact Marilyn Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Judy Kohatsu (email@example.com).
- Terrific Tuesday has restarted with all of our kids programs, choirs, adult Bible Studies and dinners!
- 4:00PM Tai Chi/Bible Study (starts February 7th) – Wear comfortable clothing, bring a Bible and make new friends! It’s great fun for your mind, body, and spirit. See you in class! Ginny Strang and Vicki Scheetz host this 2 hour session on the third floor.
- 5:00PM Bible Study – Join Rob Winder in the Fox Room as he talks about Biblical prophecy and today’s news. We guarantee lively discussions and a great opportunity to learn about Biblical prophecy!
- 5:00PM Covenant Study – One Faithful Promise: The Wesleyan Covenant for Renewal. A covenant is an agreement, a pledge, a contract. A covenant with God is a faithful promise of renewal and none are more central to the Methodist identity than the Wesley Covenant Prayer, which John Wesley first shared in a renewal service in 1755. Its central theme, “the means of increasing serious religion,” focuses on the way we can have a closer relationship with God and others through heightened dedication to a serious faith. Come and join us February 7th for a six-session study looking deeper into the Covenant Prayer we all recited at worship on January 1st. The book can be purchased from Amazon (hardcover about $10 and a kindle edition at $8) or from Cokesbury, on sale for $7.00. This class will be held in room 120.
- Hello St. Peter’s Artists! Starting on February 7th we will be meeting on Tuesday evenings to paint and draw together. All are welcome, in an encouraging atmosphere of camaraderie and fellowship. JOIN US at 6:30pm in Room 101. Please contact Robin Auwater at: (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested and plan on attending.
- 6:30PM Ladies Book Study – Ladies, please join us at 6:30pm in the Fox Room (1st floor) to explore with Beth Moore, “David – Seeking a Heart Like His.” In this study of the “man after God’s own heart,” David will make you laugh and cry. He will delight and disappoint you. You’ll want to be just like him at times and nothing like him at others. David’s life clearly demonstrates that God is always able to reach us, correct us, and reclaim our worship. If you’ve ever experienced doubts, temptations, losses, or personal inconsistencies, this study is for you. Study guides will be available through the class. This study is led by Judi Johnson and Donna Schempp. Suggested donation: $18/book.
- 6:30PM (starts February 7th)- Pastor Steve will be facilitating his “Drop In” class in Room 205. This class will be going into a deeper discussion about the prior week’s sermon. This is also a great time to ask any questions you might have about the Bible.
- Join us for St. Peter’s “SOUPer” Bowl take out luncheon on Sunday, February 5th at 12:00 noon. We will be selling delicious homemade soups including New England Clam Chowder, Chicken/Wild Rice, Minestrone, Cream of Broccoli and Vegetable Beef Barley as well as Stromboli (cost is $10.00 each). Our seasoning will put a perfect end to the football season! All proceeds benefit St. Peter’s Missions. This is a take-out lunch only.
- You are invited!…(gentlemen and ladies) to the United Methodist Men’s dinner on Wednesday, February 18th at 6:00pm. Join us for a fabulous dinner, singing, short devotional and our special speaker will be Michelle from the Chamber of Commerce. If you are interested in attending, please contact Sherm DeMill at 814-0603.
- It’s that time of year – April 2, 2017 is the Gift of Life Donor Dash. This is the 22nd anniversary of the Dash and it will be our third year participating as Team Skysoldier. Our team is aiming to raise $2,000 + and to have 20 or more people join us for the 3K Walk/5-10K run. All proceeds will help the Gift of Life Donor Program continue educating the community about life-saving organ as well as life enhancing tissue transplants. Team Skysoldier needs your help! See the flyer posted on the bulletin board for more information or visit org and sponsor Team Skysoldier. If you have any questions, please contact Joe Pratt at (609) 390-9149.
- The 2017 mission trip to the Dominican Republic is set for April 17-23. If you think you might want to participate or if you just want more information, please email Judy Kelly for more information, email@example.com.
- MISSIONS COMMITTEE UPDATE
Missions Catalog Results…Great News! The Missions Committee is pleased to announce the results from the 2016 Christmas Catalog of Giving. Thank you to all who contributed to the tremendous success! A total of $24,090 was raised to support the mission projects of St. Peter’s near and far!
Atlantic City Rescue Mission $1,730 International Missionaries $495
Aselsi Medical Mission/Carol Angelo $395 Pastor’s Fund $5,461 Bibles for Cuba $500
Sister Jean’s Kitchen $491 Camden Neighborhood Center $175 UMCOR $1,095 Christian Dental Mission $601
Urban Promise $100 Dominican Republic Mission $2,450 Where Most Needed $4,180 Family Promise $621
Food Cupboard & Clothes Closet $1,265 Food Ministry: God’s Kitchen, ACUP & Branches of Rio Grande $3,955
Habitat for Humanity Cape May Co. $576